A carman works as part of a team to rebuild, repair, and maintain railcars. Work is done predominantly in an outdoor environment and requires operating cutting torches, power tools, and heavy machinery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect railcars for damage and write bad orders
- Identify and analyze railcar mechanical issues.
- Estimates repair costs.
- Use torches, tools, and equipment to remove, repair, and replace broken or damaged railcar parts
- Fill out billing repair cards
- Operate 6 ton boom and other light and heavy machinery
- Perform tests on railcars, including Air Test.
- Miscellaneous other tasks in railroad operation
- Must have a mechanical background.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Must be able to drive manual (stick shift) vehicles.
- Must have experience using a cutting torch.
- Must be able to pass a drug and criminal background test.
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds 10+ times a day.
- Must be available to work outside normal business hours when necessary.
- Computer literate
- Background in fitting and fabrication
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience using heavy equipment